YOUTH GROUP TOURS
“Music is truly the universal language and the MIM knows how to speak it.”—Authorized quotation from Paola Lopez, 14 years old
Schedule a tour to the Musical Instrument Museum (MIM), Arizona’s best field-trip destination! A visit to MIM delivers exciting learning opportunities that combine arts education, social studies, and science with a fun experience. Young people can plunge into exceptional sensory experiences, with dynamic audio and video recordings built into every exhibit. Nearly six thousand musical instruments and objects are displayed in MIM’s five major Geographical Galleries. Guideports (wireless headsets) and high-resolution video screens allow museum guests to see, hear, and observe the instruments.
Every tour includes time in the Experience Gallery, where youths can engage in valuable hands-on activities that include touching and playing authentic instruments from many different countries.
MIM’S YOUTH GROUP TOURS
- Choose from seven different tour formats for ages 5‒18.
- The two-hour experience features an orientation video, special tours, free-choice learning, and time in the Experience Gallery. Group tours are welcome to stay longer than two hours, if your time allows it!
- Tours are offered seven days a week during regular business hours. MIM’s suggested tour time is 3:00 p.m. on weekdays, but our team will be delighted to work with you to tailor the tour’s time and length to your needs.
- Tours are customizable for any age level.
- $8 admission fee per youth; the Signature Workshop Program is an additional $2 per youth.
- Chaperones help to ensure a first-rate experience for all students. MIM recommends that the organization provides one chaperone for every five youths aged 5‒12 and one for every ten youths aged 12‒18; MIM will admit those chaperones at no additional cost.
- $75 deposit or a Purchase Order (P.O.) will hold the reservation and apply toward final payment.
- MIM meets all Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requirements for accessibility. Please notify the Education Team prior to your tour for any special-needs requests.
What is considered a “Youth Group Tour”?
Youth group tours are arranged by a teacher, youth administrator, or camp counselor. Youth groups may include:
- Scout troops (any level of Boy or Girl Scouts)
- Organized after-school or recreational youth groups (e.g., Boys & Girls Clubs, YMCA youth groups, church-affiliated youth groups, camp counselor‒led groups)
To receive the youth tour rate, the following must apply:
- Youths (ages 5‒18) are the main participants in the tour.
- There must be a group of 10 or more youths in the group.
- The tour must be booked in advance through the School and Group Tour Coordinator.
Youth Group Tour Admission Fees
- $8 – Student tour admission (ages 5‒18);
- $2 – Signature Workshop Programs (additional, per student).
Five Easy Steps to Book Your Field Trip:
Visit MIM.org and click on the “Education” tab at the top of the homepage.
Click on “Educator Resources” for curriculum materials and to print out helpful planning resources.
To select your desired tour date, complete the online Youth Group Tour Request Form, call MIM’s School and Group Tour Coordinator at 480.245.6919, or e-mail grouptours@MIM.org.
Once your tour is booked, secure your $75 deposit (P.O. #, check, or credit card) within ten business days to hold your reservation.
MIM will e-mail your reservation confirmation and pre-visit materials.
Reservations are required for all youth groups visiting MIM and reservation requests should be submitted using the MIM Youth Group Tour Request Form. The reduced youth tour rate only applies to groups that have reserved a tour in advance through this process. See “How to Reserve a Youth Group Tour” for information about requesting a visit. If you have questions, please contact the School and Group Tour Coordinator at 480.245.6919 or grouptours@MIM.org.